Adrienne

My only books were women's looks

Trying to move from GoodReads. Hope this site is a good fit!

The Two Krishnas: A Novel
Ghalib Shiraz Dhalla
The Diviners
Libba Bray
My Blue Notebooks PA: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
Liane de Pougy

Twilight (The Twilight Saga, Book 1)

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer, Stephenie Meyer I picked this up to see what all the fuss was about, got bored halfway through, and left it until I saw the movie.I had to put this book down a few times because I was laughing too hard. And not when Meyers intended me to.However, I think I've discovered the root of its popularity.Meyers writes like a 14 year old girl. The melodrama! The purple prose! The sparkles! I can see how this appeals to young girls: most girls are insecure as teens, who doesn't want a beautiful, all knowing guy telling them they are amazing? Sadly, the sheer creepiness of Edward and Bella's relationship kind of cuts down on the hilarity. (And it is hilarious)because the one thing Meyers does well is depict that kind of unhealthily obsessive teenage love. They are literally each other's lives. Bella is willing to give up everything for him. Not to mention the whole little detail of how he breaks into her room and watches her sleep for a month before they're even together. Do we really want to teach girls that stalking is romantic? That a girl has no self worth or identity beyond the man she loves?